World Series of Poker postponed due to coronavirus

CLOSE

Casinos throughout Nevada were closed Wednesday, along with other nonessential businesses, following an unprecedented order from Gov. Steve Sisolak. He urged residents to stay home to help curtail the spread of the new coronavirus. (March 18) AP Domestic

LAS VEGAS – The World Series of Poker has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The 51st annual, $10,000 buy-in poker tournament had been set for May 26 at the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino. 

WSOP organizers are now angling to hold the event in Las Vegas in the fall, but details have yet to be settled.

“We are committed to running the World Series of Poker this year but need additional time to proceed on our traditional scale while prioritizing guest and staff well-being,” said Ty Stewart, WSOP executive director, in a statement. 

In the meantime, WSOP poker competitions are expected to be played online this summer, Stewart said. Organizers will announce details of an expanded series of tournaments to be played on WSOP.com and through partnership with international operators. 

Those with hotel reservations at Caesars Entertainment properties for the WSOP can visit caesars.com/book/my-reservation or call 1-800-223-7277 to cancel or modify reservations.

In 2019, the WSOP event attracted 187,298 entrants from 118 different countries to Las Vegas and awarded more than $293 million in prize money. 

The U.S. coronavirus death toll rose by almost 2,000 on Monday to surpass 40,000; there are more than 760,000 confirmed cases, according to John Hopkins University data. The number of worldwide cases was nearing 2.5 million; there are over 166,000 deaths.

Ed Komenda writes about Las Vegas for the Reno Gazette Journal and USA Today Network. Do you care about democracy? Then support local journalism by subscribing to the Reno Gazette Journal right here

Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/04/20/wsop-2020-postponed-coronavirus-las-vegas/5168078002/