Frontline workers celebrate patient Austin Meegan’s recovery from COVID-19 May 25, 2020. Reno Gazette Journal
This is a breaking news story and will be updated throughout the day Tuesday, May 26. This story is part of the Reno Gazette Journal’s essential COVID-19 coverage and is being provided for free. Please consider subscribing to the RGJ to support our work.
Phase 2 reopening to begin Friday, includes bars, spas, gyms, more
Gov. Steve Sisolak announced details of the state’s Phase 2 reopening late Tuesday, which begins Friday.
In Phase 2, these businesses are opening, with additional restrictions:
- Bars not serving food
- Aesthetic service establishments
- Spas and massage therapy
- Body art and piercing establishments
- Gyms, fitness facilities
- Recreational areas and pools
- Movie theaters, bowling centers, arcades
Gaming is on track for a June 4 phased-in reopening. Nevada state parks will be limited to day-use and overnight stays with restrictions.
Nightclubs, adult entertainment establishments and brothels remain closed in Phase 2.
Sisolak nixes plan for video on Phase 2 reopening, says will release details tonight
Gov. Steve Sisolak canceled a planned live address about Phase 2 of Nevada’s reopening plan on Tuesday because he was potentially exposed to the coronavirus.
Four hours later, his office nixed plans to release a pre-recorded video address about the blueprint, citing technical and logistical difficulties caused by a staff-wide quarantine.
“In a little bit my team will be scheduling a Q&A call with the press to review Phase 2,” Sisolak added in a late Tuesday tweet. “Trust me, I know this isn’t ideal. I was excited to deliver this exciting news to Nevadans directly, but I still want to make sure you receive the information tonight. Stay tuned…”
In a statement, spokeswoman Meghin Delaney said Sisolak initially called off the event after learning he had visited an unnamed workplace where an employee – who was not in the building at the time – later reported testing positive for COVID-19.
Delaney said the governor is scheduled to take a COVID-19 test on Wednesday morning. He later tweeted he had not experienced any virus symptoms in the five days since the potential exposure. A post to the governor’s Twitter account shows he visited the state’s unemployment office on May 21.
Nevada Athletics Department cancels Governor’s Dinner
Nevada athletics is forging ahead with its plans to have a fall sports season, as normal.
But the athletics department will have to do so without one of its key fundraising events.
The 52nd annual Governor’s Dinner was canceled Tuesday, the university announced.
The dinner had been scheduled for July 9 at the Governor’s Mansion in Carson City.
It has been held for 51 years consecutively, with the inaugural event taking place in 1969. “
Sisolak cancels speech, says he will share recorded video tonight
Gov. Steve Sisolak says he won’t be giving his address on Phase 2 of Nevada’s reopening plan tonight because he was potentially exposed to the coronavirus.
He said his office will be releasing a recorded message later tonight.
In a statement, spokeswoman Meghin Delaney said Sisolak called off the event after learning he had visited an unnamed workplace where an employee – who was not in the building at the time – later reported testing positive for COVID-19.
Delaney said the governor is scheduled to take a COVID-19 test on Wednesday morning. He later tweeted he had not experienced any virus symptoms in the five days since the potential exposure.
This is breaking news and will be updated.
Washoe sees 54 new cases
Washoe County is reporting 54 new cases of COVID-19, tying the county’s previous record for the highest number of new cases reported in a single day.
There is now a total of 1,459 confirmed cases in Washoe County.
Eighteen of the new cases are from the homeless population, according to a release from the Washoe County Health District.
Those 18 positive cases are from testing performed on May 14. The delay in reporting those positives is due to a delay from the out-of-state lab that was contracted to perform the tests, according to the release.
The county has severed ties with that lab due to the delay.
In addition to the new positives, the county is reporting no new deaths related to coronavirus. A total of 54 people have died from the disease.
The county is also announcing it will be scheduling community-wide testing for those who schedule an appointment during the week of June 1. Those who are not symptomatic will be allowed to schedule a test starting on May 29.
UFC, professional boxing appear poised to return
Professional boxers and UFC fighters appear poised to return big sporting events to Nevada for the first time since early March.
The Nevada State Athletic Commission, which oversees all combat sports in the state, is meeting Wednesday, and the return of professional fighting events is on the organization’s agenda.
If NSAC approves moving forward with fight cards, the action would resume as soon as Thursday. The UFC has applied to host mixed martial arts events at its Apex facility in Las Vegas on Thursday and June 6.
Boxing promoter Top Rank has applied to host cards at the MGM Grand on June 9 and June 11.
Major fighting events in the Silver State were put on an indefinite pause by NSAC on March 14. The most recent professional card was held in Las Vegas on Feb. 28; six days before that, also in Las Vegas, Tyson Fury stopped Deontay Wilder in the one of the sport’s most-anticipated heavyweight fights in years.
Any events approved would take place without live audiences.
Gaming Control Board meets about June 4 reopening for Nevada casinos
Nevada’s Gaming Control Board gathered for a workshop meeting Tuesday morning to talk about the state’s targeted June 4 reopening date for casinos.
State and local health officials will provide an update on response measures to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The reopening of Nevada’s casinos is pending an evaluation in the state’s COVID-19 data and the results of Tuesday’s Gaming Control Board meeting.
On April 24, the state logged a test positivity rate of 12.2 percent, according to Caleb Cage, Nevada’s COVID-19 response director. As of Monday, that rate dropped to 6.9 percent.
“That has been continually declining,” Cage said.
Mason Van Houweling, CEO of University Medical Center, offered an update on hospital equipment levels in Southern Nevada:
- 70 percent of Southern Nevada’s 4,500 hospital beds are occupied.
- 76 percent of 619 ICU beds are occupied.
- 27 percent of 697 ventilators are occupied.
- Staffing levels are stable and PPE supplies are moderate.
Van Houweling suggested resorts should have designated areas for guest evaluation near the hotel lobby with access to EMS crews.
That evaluation would include monitoring vitals, consultation with a Telehealth provider, sample collection and — if needed — medical transfer.
About 10 properties have agreed to lodge guests who test positive for COVID-19 and need to be medically managed, Van Houweling said.
While he did not name the properties, Van Houweling said he would provide the names to gaming authorities.
Dr. Fermin Leguen, the Southern Nevada Health District’s acting chief health officer, offered these recommendations to casinos preparing to open:
- Provide visitors information cards detailing COVID-19.
- Recommend guests and employee wear masks.
- Take the temperatures of guests.
7,953 cases statewide; no cases yet in 3 Nevada counties
Tuesday, 9:00 a.m.
The known number of COVID-19 cases in Nevada crept closer to 8,000 on Tuesday, reaching 7,953 total cases — an increase of 74 new cases over what was previously reported on Monday.
The number of deaths have not yet been updated and remain at 396, according to the Nevada Health Alliance Dashboard.
In addition to the new numbers, a county-by-county breakdown of positive cases, deaths and tests in each of Nevada’s 16 counties plus Carson City has been added to the dashboard’s front page. Only three of those counties are without confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Global coronavirus updates: Stocks rocket higher; WHO warns of possible ‘immediate second peak’
Sisolak to spell out next phase of COVID recovery plan
Gov. Steve Sisolak will offer details on the second phase of Nevada’s post-COVID recovery plan at a Tuesday afternoon press conference in Carson City.
It’s been a little more than two weeks since the state entered the first phase of its economic revival effort. Since then, officials say the Governor’s Office of Economic Development has been analyzing data trends and evaluating which businesses should reopen in subsequent phases of the plan.
Sisolak has targeted a June 4 reopening for the state’s hard-hit gaming industry, pending an evaluation of the state’s coronavirus response data and the results of an upcoming meeting with the Gaming Control Board.
The governor predicts it will take two or three weeks to work through each phase of the Silver State’s recovery plan. He has not specified how many phases might be required.
The first-term Democrat is scheduled to speak at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
The RGJ will cover the event live from the state Legislature. Sisolak’s remarks will also be livestreamed at leg.state.nv.us.
County reports another 2 deaths on Monday
Officials are reporting two additional deaths COVID-19-related deaths in Washoe County.
The Regional Information Center on Monday identified the dead as a woman in her 90s with underlying health conditions and a female in her 80s with underlying health conditions.
The Camp Fire destroyed his pizzeria: COVID-19 won’t stop his plans to rebuild
The county also reported 27 new cases of coronavirus with three recoveries. There have been 54 virus-related deaths in Washoe County.
Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/05/26/nevada-coronavirus-cases-deaths-covid-recovery-plan-reno-carson-city/5257267002/