Editor’s note: This story was amended to reflect new times for when the changes will occur.
Beginning mid-week, the Nevada Department of Transportation will start implementing new lane and merge changes through the Spaghetti Bowl as part of a traffic project known as “The Big Squeeze.”
People driving through the Spaghetti Bowl are encouraged to consider alternate routes and plan ahead to allow for extra travel time. Construction operations are weather dependent and subject to change.
Traffic control is expected starting Sunday, and detour maps around the area are available online at https://ndotspaghettibowl.com/drive/.
There will be intermittent overnight lane reductions on southbound and northbound I-580, Plumb Lane to Spaghetti Bowl, between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday through Tuesday as crews restripe lanes and ramps into new configuration, according to NDOT.
The Big Squeeze will “squeeze” traffic lanes through the Spaghetti Bowl as ramp and bridge improvements are made as part of the first phase of NDOT’s Spaghetti owl renovations, known as Spaghetti Bowl Xpress, NDOT said.
The project, initially scheduled to begin Sunday but pushed back a few days due to wet weather, is expected to begin mid-week and continue through the spring of 2022.
Here are a few of the lane reconfigurations:
- The eastbound I-80 to southbound I-580 Spaghetti Bowl ramp will be temporarily reconfigured to one lane with a dedicated merge lane to southbound I-580.
- Westbound I-80 to southbound I-580 traffic will merge directly into southbound I-580 through-traffic.
- Southbound I-580 travel lanes will be shifted through the work zone.
Spaghetti Bowl Ramps
Ramps will be closed intermittently overnight from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. from Sunday, March 14 until Friday, March 19. Marked detour routes include:
- Northbound I-580 to westbound and eastbound I-80.
- Westbound I-80 to southbound U.S. 395/I-580.
- Eastbound I-80 to northbound U.S. 395.
- Eastbound I-80 to southbound I-580.
I-580 Ramp Closures
I-580 ramps will be closed intermittently overnight 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. from Sunday, March 14 until Friday, March 19. Marked detour routes include:
- Southbound I-580 at Second Street on and off-ramps.
- Southbound I-580 at Mill Street on and off-ramps. Second Street off-ramp and Mill Street off-ramp will not be closed at the same time.
- Northbound I-580 at Second Street on-ramp.
There will be intermittent daytime lane restrictions on Fourth Sreet from Sixth Street to Galletti Way Monday through Friday this week. Business access will remain open.
Follow reporter Terell Wilkins on Twitter, @terelljwilkins, call him at 252-367-8463 or email him at email@example.com.