Thousands of people have flocked to Adelaide Oval for the reopening of the SANFL season, expected to be one of the largest sporting spectator events in Australia since the coronavirus lockdown.
- About 260 travellers arrived in Adelaide today for two weeks of quarantine
- The SA Government says some are likely to test positive for COVID-19
- More than 4,000 people booked to attend the re-opening of the SANFL at Adelaide Oval
More than 3,500 people had booked seats for the reopening of the competition, which has been out of action for more than three months due to coronavirus.
South Australian health authorities had approved up to 5,000 spectators to attend, with the state having officially recorded no new coronavirus cases for more than a month.
SA Sports Minister Corey Wingard said it was exciting to see crowds streaming into the venue as the state’s coronavirus restrictions continue to ease.
He said it was important for spectators to maintain hygiene and social distancing practices to minimise any threat of coronavirus transmission.
“Because South Australians have done so wonderfully well, we’re at this position where we’re having crowds at the football today,” Mr Wingard said.
“COVID is still out there, it’s still in the world, it’s still in our country and the likelihood is that it will show its head here in South Australia at some stage.”
He said that as long as South Australians follow the health advice, “that will give us the best chance to make sure that it [the threat of transmission] is minimised at every turn”.
Sturt beat Central District in the opening match, 51 points to 36, with Woodville West Torrens and South Adelaide playing this afternoon.
The re-opening of the SANFL season comes as the state government plans to reopen all SA’s borders from July 20.
He said SA would move toward a model of restricting travel from “identified hotspots” rather than blanket restrictions by state or territory.
“We will continue to closely monitor what is happening in Victoria but we do have confidence that they will be able to get on top of these clusters that are there at the moment.”
Travellers arrive in Adelaide amid positive COVID-19 test warning
Meanwhile, the South Australian government is warning that up to 25 people are likely to test positive for COVID-19 among a group of 260 Australian travellers that arrived at Adelaide Airport on a flight from Mumbai this morning.
The travellers were transported from Adelaide Airport to a city hotel in 13 coaches today.
They will quarantine for a fortnight at the hotel and receive regular medical checks.
SA Health Minister Stephen Wade said that although up to 25 positive diagnoses were likely among the group, there was no need to be alarmed.
“I just wanted to make it clear to South Australians that we should expect to see a number of new cases in South Australia in the next week or so,” Mr Wade told reporters yesterday.
“In terms of what we’re seeing interstate, about five-to-ten per cent of travellers recently returned from the subcontinent have tested positive on their arrival in Australia.
A South Australia Health spokesperson said all international arrivals are compulsorily tested and quarantined for two weeks on their return.
“They are tested as they enter quarantine and when they leave,” the spokesperson said.
“We have found everyone to be cooperative with this process so far.”
Meanwhile, Adelaide’s electric scooters are returning to the streets today as coronavirus restrictions continue to ease.
In total, 250 e-scooters will be made available to commuters, with that number set to rise based on demand.
Sanitation teams will disinfect helmets and record their use.