This story is being provide for free as a public service.Stay in the know with a 99-cent subscription to the RGJ.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated.
5:09 p.m. update
The Numbers Fire is now 18,000 acres, according to Douglas County. The fire has nearly doubled in size since earlier this afternoon.
3:52 p.m. update:
Contrary to an earlier report, the Douglas County Community and Senior Center is not an evacuation site.
Evacuation sites include:
2:20 p.m. update:
One home and several other structures have been reported destroyed by the Numbers Fire south of Gardnerville, which has been burning since Monday evening. As of Tuesday afternoon, the fire had consumed 10,000 acres with 0% containment.
Hundreds of other homes are still being threatened. Evacuation centers were set up at area motels to help accommodate, if necessary, residents of more than 300 homes that remained threatened, primarily in Pine View Estates and Bodie Flat.
NV Energy had reported that more than 300 customers in the area were without power due to the wildfire.
The blaze began as three separate fires that burned together Monday night, blanketing Carson Valley with heavy smoke. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The fire burned both sides of U.S. 395, prompting the closure of a 16-mile stretch of highway. Officials ordered evacuations of the neighborhoods of Pine View Estates, Bodie Flat and Out Our Way.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency quickly approved disaster relief funds Tuesday to help fight the wildfire. FEMA said as many as 1,000 homes were threatened when it approved the federal disaster relief. Gov. Steve Sisolak requested the funding.
One home and 10 outbuildings have been destroyed, Douglas County officials said. No injuries have been reported. Aerial crews were helping more than 400 firefighters on the ground battle the blaze before winds were expected to pick up Tuesday afternoon.
Fire crews from around the region, including the East Fork Fire Protection District, Peardale Chicago Park Fire Protection District, South Lake Tahoe Fire, Tahoe Douglas Fire Protection District and the U.S. Forest Service’s Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit, have responded to the fire.
Smoke plumes from the wildfire was visible from as far away as Reno, more than 40 miles to the north, on Tuesday afternoon. The National Weather Service advised residents of Reno, Carson City, and communities in seven western Nevada counties that smoke from the fire would impact air quality and visibility through Wednesday.
This is the second major wildfire in Douglas County’s Pine Nut Mountains in the past two weeks. The Monarch Fire burned more than 2,300 acres less than two miles east of the Numbers Fire in late June. No structures were lost in the Monarch Fire, believed to have been caused by lightning.
1:19 p.m. update:
The Numbers Fire has grown to 7,500 acres with 0% containment. Douglas County officials are asking residents not to use the Power Dam area south of Gardnerville as a viewing location.
10:07 a.m. update:
Current evacuations for the Numbers Fire are for Pine View Estates, Bodie Flats and the Out Our Way area. Evacuation sites include:
Those with pets or livestock can go to the Douglas County Fairgrounds on Pinenut Road in Gardnerville.
GARDNERVILLE, Nev. (AP) — A northern Nevada highway remained closed Tuesday in both directions south of Gardnerville in Douglas County because of a wildfire that has burned more than 5,000 acres.
The closure of U.S. 395 was at the junction with State Route 208.
One home and several other buildings were reported destroyed since the fire was reported Monday. No cause was reported.
Douglas County officials recommended that residents evacuate several areas, include Pine View Estates and Bodie Flat.