Las Vegas legend Roy Horn of Siegfried & Roy fame tests positive for COVID-19


Siegfried & Roy’s animal trainer opened up about what really happened before the tiger attack in 2003 that ended the careers of the dynamic showmen. USA TODAY

LAS VEGAS – One half of the iconic Siegfried & Roy Las Vegas Strip act is battling COVID-19. 

Roy Horn, 75, tested positive for the contagious respiratory illness and is responding well to treatment, according to spokesman Dave Kirvin, of Kirvin Doak Communications. 

“Most importantly, Siegfried & Roy send positive wishes to everyone  impacted by the pandemic,” Kirvin said in a statement. “We will have no further comment on Roy’s recovery at this time and ask everyone to respect his right to privacy.”

Horn was mauled and dragged offstage by Montecore, a 400-pound Siberian tiger, during a live show on Oct. 3, 2003, ending Siegfried & Roy’s successful Las Vegas run. 

Horn was rushed to the hospital and survived multiple surgeries. He now has difficulty walking and talking, which a 2005 USDA report said was the result of a crushed windpipe and damage to an artery carrying oxygen to Horn’s brain.

Siegfried Fishbachler and Horn had performed together in Las Vegas for more than 30 years. They opened at the Mirage hotel-casino in February 1990.

The duo performed about 5,000 shows for 10 million fans, grossing more than $1 billion.

As of Tuesday morning, 12 more people died of COVID-19 in Clark County and 76 more people tested positive, according to new numbers released by the Southern Nevada Health District.

That brings the totals there to 3,793 total positive cases and 186 who’ve died from the coronavirus. So far, 2,414 people have recovered there from COVID-19 — about 64 percent of all Clark County cases.

Contributing: USA TODAY, Associated Press.

Ed Komenda writes about Las Vegas for the Reno Gazette Journal and USA Today Network. Do you care about democracy? Then support local journalism by subscribing to the Reno Gazette Journal right here

Read or Share this story: