Nevada State Public Health Laboratory Director Dr. Mark Pandori shows us how they test samples for COVID-19. Reno Gazette Journal
This content is being provided for free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. Please support local journalism by subscribing to the Reno Gazette Journal.
This breaking news story will be updated throughout the day on Sunday, April 5.
Washoe reports 19 new cases; 231 active cases includes 18 hospitalizations
Washoe County health officials in Sunday confirmed 19 additional positive cases of the novel coronavirus, according to the Regional Information Center.
In total, there have been 264 cases reported in Washoe County. Of that total, four patients have died and 29 have recovered.
Currently, there are 231 active cases and 18 hospitalizations.
Story continues below
All 161 residents at Southern Nevada vets home tested
Update, 8:55 a.m.
All residents at the Southern Nevada State Veterans Home in have been tested for COVID-19, according to a Sunday morning press release.
Of the 161 residents, five tested positive for the disease. Those five residents are doing well and are in isolation.
Statewide case count increases to 1,836
Update, 8:10 a.m.
The number of known positive cases of COVID-19 in Nevada increased to 1,836 on Sunday, an increase of 94 cases over the last reported total of 1,742.
The number of deaths related to coronavirus remained at 46, according to the state dashboard tracking statistics related to the disease.
So far, 16,831 people have been tested.
A testing shortage has limited the number of people that can be screened for the disease, so the true number of people infected is likely higher.
Known COVID-19 cases in Clark County jumped to 1,519 on Sunday, a 101-case increase over figures previously reported on Saturday.
The number of deaths there remain at 41.
FEMA OKs Sisolak’s major disaster declaration
The Federal Emergency Management Agency approved Gov. Steve Sisolak’s request for a major disaster declaration for Nevada as the number of cases and the death toll climbed.
On Saturday, 16 new positive cases of COVID-19 coronavirus were confirmed in Washoe County, according to the Regional Information Center.
In total 245 cases were reported in the county. Of that total, 215 cases were still active, health officials said in a news release.
Four patients died and 26 have recovered, health officials said.
FEMA’S approval of the request means the state would have additional federal assistance programs, Sisolak said in his announcement on Saturday.
“I am grateful to the President and federal government for their help, which will aid Nevada in responding and recovering effectively and efficiently from this disaster,” he said.
Sisolak signed a declaration of emergency for the outbreak in mid-March—a step that’s required to make a request for a federal major disaster declaration.
He then submitted the formal request to President Donald Trump on Tuesday.
The disaster declaration includes requests for public assistance funding and programs. Some of those programs include disaster unemployment assistance, disaster legal services, crisis counseling, training programs and mass care and emergency assistance.
In total, 46 have died from the virus in Nevada, according to the Nevada Health Alliance Dashboard.
A total of 1,742 people tested positive, and more than 19,000 tests have been performed throughout the state.
2 die in Las Vegas; 2 cases in Carson, Lyon County
Two more people died as of Saturday morning and 139 tested positive in Clark County, according to the Nevada Health Alliance Dashboard.
In total, there are 1,418 cases of coronavirus in the county. Of that total, 362 people have been hospitalized—25 percent of the total known positive cases.
Two new cases were also reported in Carson City and in Lyon County, according to the Carson City Health and Human Services Department.
A woman in her 70s in Carson City and a woman in her 30s in Lyon County were both self-isolating at home and were in stable condition.
Elko County sees first death from COVID-19
Among those who died of the coronavirus was an Elko County woman in her 50s.
The woman was one of eight positive cases in the county. Health officials said she had an underlying health condition and was not being treated in the hospital when she died.
West Wendover Mayor Daniel Corona said on Twitter that the woman was a resident of his town.
“I am heartbroken by the news of the passing of the first person to test positive for COVID-19 in our community,” he said on Twitter. “My deepest sympathies and prayers to the family.”
Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/04/05/coronavirus-updates-what-we-know-reno-sparks-las-vegas-sunday/2949702001/