Coronavirus updates: Reno, Sparks, Washoe will follow Phase 1 plan; Moms on the Run postponed

CLOSE

Local man decides to donate his stimulus check to a needy family in Reno on April 28, 2020. Reno Gazette Journal

This story is being provided for free as a public service during the COVID-19 outbreak in Washoe County. Please consider supporting the journalists bringing you this information by considering a subscription to the Reno Gazette Journal.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated throughout Friday, May 8.

Washoe County will follow state reopening plan

12:48 p.m.

Washoe County on Friday announced it would be following Gov. Steve Sisolak’s Phase One reopening plan to the letter, which allows most businesses and restaurants to resume operations on Saturday, May 9.

Restaurants, food trucks, barber shops, hair salons, most retail stores and a laundry list of other services the state had previously ordered closed during the COVID-19 pandemic will be allowed to reopen under certain restrictions this weekend.

Under the governor’s Phase One reopening directive, individual counties have the option to impose additional restrictions if they feel the need to do so. Washoe County is forgoing this option.

Moms on the Run postponed

12:43 p.m.

The 20th annual Moms On The Run event, scheduled to take place this Sunday, has been postponed.

Officials with the run verified that it will be postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

They said a new date will be announced later this year, once statewide shutdowns are lifted.

Participants who already have registered can have their registration automatically transferred to the postponed event, or receive a refund. For refunds or questions about registration, email registration@momsontherun.info.

Schieve: Reno will follow reopening plan

10:55 a.m.

Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said Friday the city will follow Gov. Steve Sisolak’s re-opening plan, allowing many businesses to open at midnight with certain restrictions meant to help slow the spread of COVID-19.

At a news conference Thursday, Sisolak said it would be up to individual counties whether to delay re-openings because of individual circumstances. For example, Washoe County’s hospitalization rate has not seen a 14-day decline.

But Schieve said the re-openings will take place in the city.

More: Sisolak: Phase 1 reopening begins 12:01 a.m. Saturday, May 9 following COVID-19 closures

“The (city) will be supporting Governor Sisolak’s reopening directive,” she said. “We want to stress that the virus is still very present in our community. Even though we are reopening, we must take extreme caution to ensure that we can minimize any future outbreaks.

“We want to be clear that we are still sending a message of extreme caution and safety.  Due to the testing capacity we anticipate an uptick in cases, however, the (city) will be making recommendations through our COVID response committee as we move forward through the reopening phases.”

— Anjeanette Damon

118 new cases in Nevada, state reports

10:55 a.m.

An additional 118 Nevadans have tested positive for COVID-19, according to new numbers released by the Nevada Health Response on Friday.

That brings the total number of known cases in the state to 5,884.

That number is pending data from LabCorp, a private lab that’s responsible for 12,634 of the 65,544 tests performed in Nevada thus far.

The state has not yet released an updated figure for the number of people who’ve died of COVID-19. That number remains at 293 statewide.

So far, 53,344 people have been tested. Single individuals often receive multiple tests, which accounts for the difference between the number of tests performed and the number of people tested.

— Sam Gross

Did you recover from COVID-19? A UNR study needs your plasma

Local survivors of COVID-19 are being asked to donate plasma to researchers at Renown and the University of Nevada, Reno medical school working to develop a new treatment for the disease.

The researchers are hoping to use the plasma to understand how the immune system responds to the new coronavirus by studying the antibodies in the blood of those who’ve recovered.

Those antibodies could be used to treat those currently fighting COVID-19, a press release from the researchers says. Currently, there’s no approved treatment for the disease.

This important study is instrumental in helping us understand the immune systems of people who were affected by COVID-19, and with their help, getting us one step closer to finding a treatment for the disease that has significantly impacted our nation and our community.” wrote Sara Healy, principal investigator of the study and a pediatric infectious disease physician at Renown Children’s Hospital and UNR Med, in a press release announcing the study.

Researchers are asking anyone aged 18-60 who’ve fully recovered from COVID-19 to consider donating their plasma to the study. Participants should be in general good health and at least two weeks should have passed since they fully recovered.

Those interested in participating should contact the Renown research office at (775) 982-3646 or via email at covidplasmascreening@renown.org.

Nationwide coronavirus updates: Economy lost 20.5M jobs in April; Walmart shopper charged over mask dispute

Sisolak outlines plan for some Nevada businesses to start to reopen beginning Saturday

Gov. Steve Sisolak says restaurants, retail stores, barber shops, hair salons and some brewpubs can resume limited operations on Saturday, a full week ahead of the schedule laid out in Nevada’s coronavirus recovery plan.

Most Silver State residents did a great job staying home to prevent the deadly disease’s spread, Sisolak said on Thursday, and that’s allowed officials to speed up efforts to resuscitate the state’s COVID-clobbered economy. 

“I want to emphasize we’re not done with this fight,” the governor told reporters during a press conference in Carson City. “We don’t want to put our gloves down. It will not go away until we have a vaccine, and we may not have a vaccine anytime soon.

“More patience on our behalf will mean less patients in our hospitals.”

Barbers, restaurants, more: These businesses can reopen in Nevada’s Phase 1 plan

Washoe County sees 38th death, 8 new cases

Another person in Washoe County died Thursday of COVID-19, according to a release from the Washoe County COVID-19 Regional Information Center.

That person, a man in his 70s with underlying health conditions, is the 38th person to die of coronavirus in the county.

Officials are also reporting an additional eight cases of COVID-19, matching Wednesday’s number of new cases. That brings Washoe County’s total number of infections to 1,030.

So far, 431 people have recovered from the disease and 47 are currently hospitalized.

Across Nevada, 7 deaths, 103 new cases on Thursday

The number of people who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 in Nevada increased to 5,766 on Thursday, a rise of 103 cases over what was previously reported Wednesday morning.

Story continues below

The total number of deaths in the state rose to 293 on Thursday, up from 286 the day before, according to updated numbers from the Nevada Health Alliance.

Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/05/08/nevada-coronavirus-live-updates-reno-news-covid-19-cases-deaths/3093332001/