VA and Patriot Guard Riders salute caregivers at Reno VA Hospital for National Hospital Week Reno Gazette Journal
Editor’s note: This is a breaking news story and will be updated throughout the day Monday, May 11. This story is part of the Reno Gazette Journal’s essential COVID-19 coverage and is being provided for free. Please consider subscribing to the RGJ to support our work.
New cases reported in Lyon County, Carson City
Quad-County Emergency Operations Center on Monday reported three new positive cases of COVID-19 in the Quad-County region. This brings the total number of cases to 124, with 82 recoveries and two deaths. A total of 40 cases remain active.
The new cases are a Lyon County man in his 40s, a Lyon County man in his 20s and a Carson City man in his 30s.
State reports lowest number of new cases since March
The total number of people who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 in Nevada has grown to 6,152, an increase of 54 new cases over what was previously reported on Sunday.
The number of coronavirus related deaths had not yet been updated by Monday afternoon, and remained at 306.
It’s the lowest number of new cases reported in Nevada since March 24, when the count grew by 43 cases.
WCSD may run pretaped grad ceremonies on TV
Graduation for the Washoe County School District of class of 2020 may be aired on TV with student and principal speeches pre-taped.
It’s part of a presentation Superintendent Kristen McNeill and other school leaders will present Tuesday at the school board meeting.
The district said because of social distancing directions from the Washoe County Health District and Gov. Steve Sisolak’s office, the district has had meetings with high school staff and students about how to honor the class of 2020.
The plan, as of now, is to air a graduation type ceremony with a slide show on KOLO TV News Channel 8 at the same time as most graduations were scheduled to take place at Lawlor Events Center. The pretaped 30 or 60 minute shows, would air on TV between June 3 and June 17. Larger schools such as Reno, Sparks and Galena high schools would have an hour time slot.
The school board agenda item is up for discussion and possible action. The meeting begins at 4 p.m. Tuesday and will be broadcast live as the board conducts the meeting via a Zoom conference call.
Artown cancels performances at Wingfield Park, Hawkins Amphitheater
Artown, Reno’s annual mid-summer month-long arts and music event, has cancelled all live performances at Wingfield Park and Hawkins Amphitheater this summer.
On its website, Artown says it will become ‘Heartown’ this year.
The statement says the the non-profit is still planning to have a festival this summer, but artist displays will be streamed, due to the coronavirus pandemic and statewide safety protocols.
Artown, which started in 1996, is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year.
On the Artown website, executive director Beth Macmillan wrote:, “Our community’s resilience and creativity will be on full display this year, restoring hope and reviving the spirits of so many.”
Nevada governor declares fiscal state of emergency
Gov. Steve Sisolak has declared a fiscal state of emergency to help fix the financial devastation wrought by the coronavirus pandemic.
Sisolak on Monday said the state was projecting a “significant shortfall” of $741 to $911 million in expected sales and gaming revenues from the state’s long-shuttered casinos, malls, retail stores and other nonessential businesses.
In a statement, the governor said the state’s main school funding account was also facing a serious shortage of cash, threatening funding for long-promised teacher pay raises and a whole host of other high-profile education reforms passed by the Legislature in 2019.
Monday’s declaration authorizes Sisolak and state lawmakers to patch budget cracks with dollars pulled from the state’s roughly $400 million rainy day fund, which now holds enough cash to cover around one month of the state’s projected expenses.
“With the closure of Nevada businesses, including the gaming industry, that was necessary to protect the health of Nevadans, the drop in revenue is not unexpected and it is significant,” Sisolak said. “While we appreciate the additional assistance from the federal government to help address the immediate funding needs for the public health crisis, the state is now in a position where will be forced to make very difficult decisions.”
Sisolak started bracing for COVID-caused declines in state income earlier this month, when he asked state agencies to slash nearly $700 million out of their budgets over the next two years.
Leaders of Nevada’s Democrat-dominated Legislature in March said they had no immediate plans for a special session to address growing fears about COVID’s growing impact on the state’s budget.
Nationwide coronavirus updates: National Park Service preps for ‘new normal;’ US deaths near 80,000
State dashboard adds info on new cases, more
The Nevada Health Alliance has added a number of new charts and graphs to its coronavirus dashboard, greatly expanding the amount of COVID-19 data and information available to the general public.
That dashboard, which is the state’s official tracker for all things COVID-19, now features more information about the new cases, hospitalizations and where Nevada’s rate of positive cases stands relative to World Health Organization reopening guidelines.
The statewide case count, usually updated every morning, has not been updated as of Monday morning.
There are currently 6,098 recorded COVID-19 cases in Nevada and 306 deaths. So far, 58,809 people have been tested.
Lyon County, Carson City report new cases
The Quad-County Emergency Operations Center, which includes Carson City as well as Lyon, Storey and Douglas counties, reported five new positive cases and three additional recoveries on Sunday.
The new cases include:
- Two Carson City women in their 40s
- A Carson City woman in her 20s
- A Lyon County woman in her 20s
- A Lyon County woman in her 60s
This brings the total number of cases in the region to 121, with 82 recoveries and two deaths; 37 cases remain active.
18 new COVID-19 cases reported in Washoe County
Sunday, May 10
The Regional Information Center reported 18 new COVID-19 cases and 15 recoveries in Washoe County on Sunday. Other updates include:
- Total cases in Washoe County: 1,095 (increase of 18 from May 9)
- Deaths: 39 (no increase from May 9)
- Recoveries: 497 (increase of 15 from May 9)
- Active cases: 560 (increase of four from May 9)
- Currently hospitalized: 42 (no increase from May 9)
- Cases discharged from hospital: 93 (no increase from May 9)
DMV to re-open 2 offices for commercial drivers May 11; still closed to public
The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles will reopen its commercial driver license offices in North Las Vegas and Sparks on May 11, the department announced.
The offices will offer limited services to commercial drivers; no transactions for the general public will be completed. A re-opening date for the full-service DMV offices has not been set.
Coronavirus updates: Nevada restaurants begin to re-open, with limitations
Only 10 customers at a time will be allowed inside because of the small size of the offices. Social distancing will be in effect. DMV staff will wear face coverings; customers are encouraged to do so.
Positive cases statewide rise
Seventy new positive coronavirus cases were reported Sunday, a nearly 12 percent increase from the number of positive case reported on Saturday, according to the state’s tracking dashboard.
The total number of positive cases in Nevada is 6,098. The state death toll remains at 306.
Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/05/11/coronavirus-update-nevada-reno-las-vegas-washoe-county-covid-cases/3106117001/