This is a breaking news story and will be updated throughout the day Thursday, Sept. 24. This story is part of the Reno Gazette Journal’s essential COVID-19 coverage and is being provided for free. Please consider subscribing to the RGJ to support our work.
Washoe County reports 1 new COVID-19 death
Thursday, 4 p.m.
Officials announced that there is one new COVID-19 death in Washoe County, a woman in the 70s with underlying health conditions. In total, 155 deaths have been reported in Washoe county.
An additional 132 cases were reported Thursday, bringing the total number of cases to 9,010.
There have also been an additional 155 cases that have recovered from COVID-19, four cases that have been released from the hospital and six that have been hospitalized since Wednesday.
Also, 1,327 have been tested for COVID-19 since Wednesday. Overall, 135,669 people have been tested in Washoe County.
Nevada reports eight more deaths, testing numbers pass 1 million
11 a.m., Thursday
The state of Nevada has officially administered 1 million tests for COVID-19, according to the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services.
A total of 1,004,215 tests have been administered in Nevada, with 7,908 tests administered on Wednesday to put the state over the threshold.
Thursday’s report included eight new deaths due to COVID-19 and 390 new cases, bringing the total number of cases to 77,197 since tracking began.
Hospitalizations of confirmed COVID-19 cases increased by seven, up to 362, while hospitalizations of suspected COVID-19 cases dropped by 18, down to 106.
Three more Intensive Care Unit patients were reported, for a total of 137.
The state’s cumulative positivity rate dropped down to 9.9%, its lowest since July 25. The daily positivity rate has increased up to 10% from 8.6% Wednesday.
Washoe County reports 81 new COVID-19 cases, no deaths
The Regional Information Center reported 81 new cases and no new deaths in Washoe County on Wednesday.
There are currently 1,145 active COVID-19 cases in Washoe County, a 32-case drop since Tuesday. The county also reported 113 recoveries.
According to data released by the county, there have been 16 more cases hospitalized, bringing the total to 68.
The number of hospital beds in staffed, short-term, acute-care hospital beds stayed at 61 percent. Occupied beds in the intensive care unit increase one percent, up to 39 percent. Ventilator use decreased one percent, down to 39 percent.
Tests administered in Washoe County increased by 2,920, bringing the total to 134,342.
Nevada coronavirus cases spike at 509
The Nevada Department of Health and Human Services reported 509 new cases on Wednesday, the largest one day increase since nearly a month earlier on August 28, which saw 609 cases.
The state also reported 10 more deaths. Nevada has reported a total of 1,556 deaths due to COVID-19 since tracking began.
Hospitalizations for confirmed cases dropped by five, down to 355. Hospitalizations for suspected cases of COVID-19 increased by 43, up to 124. The intensive care unit reported a decrease of six cases, down to 134.
The state reported 4,347 cases administered over the last day.
The daily positivity rate increased to 8.6 percent and the state’s cumulative positivity rate remained at 10 percent, both above the WHO’s goal of 5 percent.
State official to WCSD: Limited doses of COVID-19 vaccine ‘hopefully’ in Nevada soon
Julia Peek, Nevada’s deputy administrator of Community Health Services, told the Washoe County School Board on Tuesday that a vaccine for COVID-19 could be available in Nevada in a month to six weeks.
“Hopefully by November we will start seeing the vaccine … in limited doses,” Peek said.
She warned her information is based on word from the CDC and media reports.
She said her team is working with local health departments to develop a plan to prioritize distribution of the limited doses, but she had no further details on how much of the vaccine would be available.
Peek said the state is working on putting a plan in place.
Washoe District Health spokesman Scott Oxarart confirmed “it’s possible” the first vaccine doses could arrive within a month, but said they likely would not be made available to the general public.
“First round would likely be for first responders and medical providers,” he said.
President Donald Trump’s administration is reportedly rushing to have a vaccine available by next month, but the Federal Drug Administration is set to announce new standards for an emergency vaccine approval that could make that timeline unfeasible.