Coronavirus live updates: 445 new cases reported Saturday, record increase

CLOSE

Hamilton Medical of Reno and General Motors joined forces to build factory capable of building thousands of ventilators in weeks. Reno Gazette Journal

This is part of the Reno Gazette Journal’s essential COVID-19 coverage and is being provided for free. Please consider subscribing to the RGJ to support our work.

445 new cases reported Saturday 

8:30 a.m. Saturday

The number of new coronavirus cases in Nevada grew by a record amount on Saturday, increasing 445 to a total of 12,931 according to the Nevada Health Alliance dashboard. 

Friday’s increase of 410 was also a record for the number of new cases.

The number of deaths stood at 486.

The state reported it performed 5,782 tests on Friday for a total of 274,879. The net positivity rate stood at 5.3% on Thursday, the last day for which that data was reported.

31 new cases in Washoe; death toll hits 73

Friday

Washoe County reported 31 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, bringing the total in the county to 2,137, according to the Washoe County Health District.

The county also reported the number of deaths related to coronavirus rose to 73.

There are currently 685 active cases of COVID-19 and 1,379 recoveries. There are currently 69 people hospitalized due to the disease and 174 people have been released from the hospital.

Sisolak considers stricter mask requirements 

As Nevada continues to see spikes in coronavirus cases amid the state’s reopening, Gov. Steve Sisolak said Friday he will consider imposing stricter mask-wearing policies in the state.

“As the state evaluates the latest COVID data here and around the country, I am asking the Medical Advisory Team to evaluate potential options for enhanced face covering policies and to provide any recommendations for consideration to strengthen our response to this pandemic,” Sisolak wrote on Twitter.

“Nevada Health Response has repeatedly urged the use of face coverings when out in public as one of the strongest methods of mitigating the spread of COVID-19, and directives I’ve signed mandate the use of face coverings by employees who interact with the public,” he said in a second tweet.

During Phase 2 of reopening, business employees who interact with the public are already required to wear masks. Sisolak was not specific on what further requirements he is considering.

Nugget calls off rib cook-off  

This summer’s Best in the West Nugget Rib Cook-off has been cancelled, the Nugget Casino Resort announced Friday.

The announcement said the cancellation was due to “COVID-19 related state and local government-imposed restrictions” on public events. The event had been scheduled for the first week of September.

DMV suspends driving tests 

The Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles on Friday announced it suspended driving tests due to concerns over spreading the COVID-19 virus.

The announcement that all non-commercial skills tests are suspended came after an examiner at a Las Vegas office tested positive for the virus.

“We’re taking this brief pause to re-evaluate our protocols. Even though our examiners have been wearing personal protective equipment, the driver and the examiner sit in close proximity during a test. We must continue to put the safety of the public and our employees first,” said DMV Director Julie Butler.

Driving tests are expected to resume on June 22 with drivers required to wear a mask. Prior to the suspension masks were recommended for drivers but not required.

Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/06/20/nevada-coronavirus-updates-reno-las-vegas-cases-deaths-washoe-county/3229259001/