Nevada State Public Health Laboratory Director Dr. Mark Pandori shows us how they test samples for COVID-19. Reno Gazette Journal
Humboldt County reports 2 new cases
Update, 10:10 a.m.
Humboldt County on Saturday announced two new cases of COVID-19, bringing the county’s total to three.
The first case was reported on Thursday, March 26.
California closes all 280 state parks to vehicle access
Update, 9:35 a.m.
California announced on Sunday that it has closed all 280 of its state parks to vehicle traffic.
The move comes after the parks “experienced visitation surges that made it impossible for the public to implement appropriate social/physical distancing practices,” according to a press release.
The new restrictions include all state parks on the California side of Lake Tahoe and along the Sierra. Vehicular traffic can still access state parks on the Nevada side of the lake.
Recreation areas across the U.S. have seen surging visitation as the spread of COVID-19 has closed schools and sent people home from work.
California will continue to monitor visitation to its state parks, and if the new measures do not prove enough to limit visitation, more restrictions could be put into place.
NV’s Democratic senators press Pence on COVID-19 supply shortages
Nevada’s two Democrats in the Senate, Jacky Rosen and Catherine Cortez Masto, added their names to a letter demanding answers from Vice President Mike Pence on “dire shortages” of medical supplies needed to fight the spread of COVID-19, according to a Sunday press release.
Hospitals and health care providers around the country have reported severely lacking supplies such as personal protective equipment, ventilators and sufficient numbers of beds, among other things.
“Providers on the front lines of this pandemic are being forced to ration care and reuse critical protective equipment in previously unthinkable ways,” the senators wrote in the letter. “These desperate measures put their health at risk, contribute to the spread of this deadly virus, and limit their capacity to care for patients.”
The letter is demanding that Pence, who’s leading the federal COVID-19 task force, provide details on the Trump administration’s plans to increase stock of supplies.
117 new cases confirmed in Nevada, 18 in Washoe; sheriff’s deputy tests positive
Sunday, March 29
The state of Nevada reported an additional 117 positive cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, bringing the total statewide to 738 confirmed cases; 9,150 people have been tested, according to the Nevada Health Network.
Fourteen Nevadans have died, all in Southern Nevada.
Washoe County Health District on Saturday confirmed 18 new cases of COVID-19 — including a sheriff’s deputy who worked in the jail. The new cases in Washoe brought the total to 93, health officials said. Seven of those have recovered.
Officials said the deputy had just returned to work on Thursday after being off for a week. She then reported symptoms of the coronavirus and was sent to an independent lab for testing. She was then sent home.
This content is being provided free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. Please support local journalism by subscribing here to the Reno Gazette Journal.
By Saturday morning, the sheriff’s office learned the deputy had tested positive. Sheriff Darin Balaam reported the case later that afternoon.
Balaam also instructed his staff to take the temperatures of everyone entering the sheriff’s office. That includes having people answer basic screening questions before they’re allowed inside.
2 new cases reported in Carson and Douglas
Carson City Health and Human Services is reporting two new coronavirus cases, a Carson City woman and a Douglas County man, both in their 30s. Both had traveled recently, and both are self-isolating and in stable condition.
School district rolls out remote learning plan
Starting Monday and for a least two weeks, the Washoe County School District is rolling out remote education. On Friday and continuing Monday and Tuesday, the district started delivering packets and opened an online portal for lessons for students amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Las Vegas opens temporary homeless shelter
Las Vegas opened a Temporary homeless shelter to house those who were left unsheltered after the Catholic Charities shelter closed.
Last week, health officials confirmed a homeless man had tested positive, prompting the closure of a shelter run by Catholic Charities. The closure left 500 people without an overnight shelter.
For the full story, click here.
Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/03/29/coronavirus-reno-sparks-live-updates-what-we-know-sunday/2934947001/