Downtown Reno residents join together nightly to make noise at 6 pm during the COVID-19 crisis. Reno Gazette Journal
Editor’s note: This content is being provided for free as a public service to our readers during the coronavirus outbreak. Please support local journalism by subscribing to the Reno Gazette Journal.
This breaking news story will be updated throughout the day on Thurssday, April 22.
Clark County death toll rises to 163
Thirteen more people have died of COVID-19 in Clark County and 96 more people there have tested positive, according to new numbers released by the Southern Nevada Health District.
That brings the totals there to 163 people who’ve died and 3,314 who’ve tested positive for coronavirus.
So far, 2,049 people have recovered, or 61.83 percent of those who’ve tested positive.
Nevada reports 127 more positive cases
The known number of Nevadans who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 increased by 127 on Thursday and the number of people who’ve died from the virus increased by two, according to new numbers released by the Nevada Health Alliance.
The statewide totals now stand at 4,208 known cases and 189 deaths related to coronavirus.
So far, 34,749 people have been tested for COVID-19, but a limited testing capability has stunted the number of people who can be screened for the virus, so the true number of infected is likely higher than what’s known.
Nevada death total now 187
The number of deaths from coronavirus statewide leaped from 172 Wednesday morning to 187 Wednesday evening. The number of positive cases remained 4,081, and the number of people tested in the state 33,888.
That’s an increase of 144 new cases and 24 deaths over what was last reported on Tuesday.
RGJ explains: How Sisolak’s plan to reopen economy will work
Washoe County reports 3 deaths in one day
Health officials confirmed Wednesday that another person fell victim to the COVID-19 coronavirus—raising the total death toll to 21 deaths in Washoe County.
According to the COVID-19 Regional Information Center, the latest victim was a man in his 90s who suffered from underlying health conditions.
In total, there are 710 positive cases and 494 active cases in the county, according to the Washoe County COVID-19 Impact Dashboard.
Currently, there have been 195 people who have recovered from the illness.
Sparks hospital official: Don’t be afraid to ER during a crisis for fear of COVID-19
Northern Nevada Medical Center’s director of emergency services says people should not be afraid to go to the emergency room during a medical crisis.
Shelby Hunt, who’s been a registered nurse for 25 years, told reporters during Washoe County’s Wednesday coronavirus briefing that the region’s emergency rooms are seeing a quarter to one-third fewer patients than normal.
“Please continue to call 911, use those resources,” Hunt said. “We do not want anyone suffering at home … because they’re afraid to get COVID.”
In an effort to eliminate the risk of exposing hospital patients to coronavirus, Hunt said emergency departments are taking special care to isolate anyone who’s showing any sort of respiratory issue — even if it just appears to be allergies.
The drop in emergency room visits has even begun to impact staffing. Hunt said that, at least at NNMC, staff haven’t been furloughed but they are “flexing” people’s schedules to adapt to the change. This includes placing nurses on call in case patient volumes increase unexpectedly.
Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/04/23/coronavirus-update-nevada-cases-deaths-reno-las-vegas-washoe-county/3009622001/