Coronavirus: ​​​​​​​Nevada reports first case of dangerous COVID-related syndrome in kids

CLOSE

The Sierra Army Depot in Herlong, California distributes PPE and COVID tests to the entire U.S. Army. Reno Gazette Journal

This is a breaking news story and will be updated throughout the day Friday, June 12. This story is part of the Reno Gazette Journal’s essential COVID-19 coverage and is being provided for free. Please consider subscribing to the RGJ to support our work.

Nevada reports first case of COVID-19 related syndrome that is dangerous to children

Update: 3:13 p.m.

Las Vegas has confirmed its first case of multi-system inflammatory syndrome, a rare but possibly deadly syndrome being found in children who have tested positive for COVID-19.

It is the first reported case in Nevada. The Washoe County Health District said there are no cases in the Reno-Sparks region. 

The Clark County child was hospitalized but was discharged and is recovering, according to the Southern Nevada Health District.

Last month Renown CEO and President Dr. Tony Slonim said that health officials were on the lookout for the illness that causes fever, stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, fatigue and bloodshot eyes.  

 “This condition and how it is related to COVID is fascinating, and I think it is going to have a real human toll on our children,” Slonim told the Reno Gazette Journal.

The onset of the condition seems to come weeks after a child, who had no initial symptoms, may have been exposed to the coronavirus.

Hundreds of cases have been reported across the country including about a dozen cases in California. New York reported at least 3 deaths from the syndrome.

Truckee, Tahoe California reopening businesses

California tourism officials announced Friday that restaurants, retail and hotels were eager for visitors under stage 3 of California’s reopening plans. The release said Nevada casinos and properties “reopened safety” on June 4 and California was now following in the Silver State’s footsteps.

“To say our business community is excited to welcome visitors back to the lake and mountains would be an understatement,” said CEO of the North Lake Tahoe Resort Association Jeffrey Hentz.

Tourism officials from California said there have been extra challenges because Tahoe is in two states and had to deal with different reopening plans.

But they are encouraging visitors while asking visitors to wear masks and keep health precautions in mind.

“Finally, we’re ready to say now is the time to visit,” said Colleen Dalton, director of tourism and economic programs for Truckee. “The CEO of the Tahoe Forest Health System, Harry Weis, supports the County decision for lodging to reopen safely, and we are happy that travelers can now come visit to spend time outdoors in the mountains this summer.”

State officials keep reopening plans, despite an uptick in cases

Thursday

Despite a recent uptick in positive COVID-19 cases in Nevada, state officials are moving forward with their plans to continue to reopen businesses.

According to Caleb Cage, director for the Nevada COVID-19 Response Team, the uptick in cases may have stemmed from an increase in community-based testing. That includes more testing in rural and tribal areas.

At a news conference on Thursday, Cage said the state’s data showed the jump in cases was the fourth-highest increase seen since the pandemic was declared in Nevada.

Washoe County reported its largest single-day increase, with 61 new cases, on Thursday.

Health officials are also reporting an increase in COVID-19-related hospitalizations.

Still, Cage said there was no evidence of a second statewide wave of coronavirus, but that health and state officials will continue to monitor the situation.

He emphasized that the state is nearing the end of the two-week period for Phase 2 of the reopening plan.

Read the full story here: Health official say uptick in COVID-19 cases isn’t delaying reopening plan

Washoe reports the largest single-day increase in new cases

Thursday

The Regional Information Center reported two more deaths and the largest single-day increase of new COVID-19 cases in Washoe County on Thursday. 

Health officials said the latest victims were a woman in her 70s and a man in his 80s, both with underlying health conditions—bringing the total death toll to 69.

Health officials also reported an additional 61 cases in the county. The number of cases previously peaked at 54 cases on May 17 and 26.

The seven-day moving average for COVID-19 cases is about 35 in the county—the highest point. The previous high was at about 32 in mid-April.

“This is a stark reminder that COVID-19 is still spreading at a concerning rate in Washoe County,” Washoe County District Health Officer Kevin Dick said in a statement on Thursday. “It’s been 98 days since we got our first case in Washoe County and just now, we’ve reached the highest point in single-day cases and the seven-day moving average.

“We thought, and the models told us, our peak was probably behind us,” he said. “Now, we have a new higher peak of daily cases and may be moving higher yet.”

Dick emphasized that several casinos are conducting commercial testing. He said the county’s drive-through test sites and sites at Walmart and CVS are also leading to more cases.

Still, he attributed the spike in cases to people who are not using masks and are failing to practice safe social distancing

“We need to battle this virus together to protect our vulnerable populations and it starts by taking extreme precaution when going out into the community and only going out for essential needs,” Dick said.

In total, there have been 1,893 positive cases in the county. Of that total, 617 cases remain active.

Health officials said 1,207 people have recovered, 71 individuals are currently hospitalized, and 153 people have been released from the hospital.

Read or Share this story: https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2020/06/12/nevada-coronavirus-update-what-we-know-friday-reno-las-vegas/5347120002/